Saturday, April 14, 2007

Web 2.0 - Now on Sale for $1.99

I just finished reading Seth Godin's recent blog on initiating an Internet presence for cheap.

Despite the fact that I work with a team who designs and develops websites for paying customers, I think Seth makes a LOT of great points. It doesn't cost much to get started. You don't need a lot of professional help to publish, or get noticed on the Web.

In fact, a renowned SEO (Search Engine Optimization) firm we know, uses WordPress (a blogging service, similar to TypePad) for their website. And they're in the business of designing, delivering and optimizing website visibility for some VERY recognizable clients!

Small businesses CAN be found on the web - as I described in my recent post Dave's Blog: Getting to Fourth Base about a small local bar I found using Google Earth!

If you have the time (and it really doesn't take too much) this approach should work for you. The only two pieces of advice I would add to Seth's is to; a)be interesting and b)be real.

Talk to your web audience the way you'd speak to a customer in person. If you're quirky, show off your quirky side. If you're fun loving, let it show through in your blog posts.

Remember too, that writing for an Internet audience is a little different than "traditional" writing. Chunk your message into bite sized pieces. Don't try to tell your story in one large post. And once your site is up and running, make sure you keep the content fresh. Continue to tell your story on at least a weekly basis. Your website - just like that fern in your living room, will die without occasional attention.

Even though I work with people who build websites for a living, I'm a firm believer that "an educated consumer is our best customer". I'd much rather improve a web presence for someone who's already tried a few tools, than for someone who simply wants to delegate their web marketing efforts to a 3rd party.