Saturday, May 17, 2008

Secret Weapons

I am working with several business teams at the moment.

I am not a subject matter expert. In fact I know very little about the topics at hand. And part of my job is to help these teams function more effectively. Even though I don't know much about the subject matter, I do have two very powerful weapons on my side.

Ignorance and enthusiasm.

I'm not pushing any agenda. I'm not encumbered by "why the way things are" (or aren't). I hold no bias against any of the individuals on the team. I simply want to know more about the topic and how we're trying to get better.

And so I ask questions. LOTS of questions. And I listen to the answers. And I observe how the team interacts. And generally, I'm impressed. In fact, most times I discover a talented group of people who can be performing at a higher level. They just don't realize how good they can be, nor do they know how to get there.

But I see it.

And that feeds my second secret weapon.

Enthusiasm.

I'm typically a "glass 3/4 full" guy. I look at why we will be successful - not come up with the reasons we won't be. The reason is simple survial. If you think you'll fail, you will. Don't even begin. Will there be challenges? roadblocks? bumps in the road? Sure there will. But we'll work through them.

We will make mistakes? YES.

But we'll learn from them.

My favorite phrases (and they almost ALWAYS come up during initial team meetings) is; "The company doesn't do that." "Or the company won't allow us to try that".

To which I reply; "WE ARE THE COMPANY!"

The only thing holding us back is US.

As long as we view "the company" as an invisible deterrent, we feel powerless. Once we realize that WE are empowered to address issues, it can unleash pent up creativity, energy, encourage change and achieve some amazing results.