Wednesday, June 6, 2007

How NOT to use Technology!

This past weekend, I drove to Toronto. Like every major North American city, Toronto has invested millions of dollars in those electronic overhead traffic signs across the major traffic corridors.

The idea is to help warn travellers of major traffic tie ups, accidents, lane and exit construction closures, with the goal of improving traffic flow across the busiest travelled roads in the city.

I was driving across the top of Toronto when I encountered a massive traffic jam. As all six lanes of eastbound traffic were completely stopped on Hwy 401 by the Toronto Airport, I glanced up at the electronic sign for guidance. Here is what it said:

"Reduce idling. Save the environment. Save money"

I'm not sure how I was supposed to react to that. Park the car, get out and walk? No guidance whatsoever. No reason for the tie up. No suggested alternate routes. Nothing. Except, reduce idling. After an hour, I finally found my own way out of the mess - no thanks to the electronic signage.

But that's not the worst of it. Here are other (real) examples of messages posted on these electronic signs I observed this weekend.

"Speed Enforcement in Effect"

Damn! I came to Toronto on the day they check for speeders!

"Eglinton Ave 1 KM"

Does this street suddenly change locations from time to time? Why can't this information be posted on a standard painted sign? Like you do for EVERY OTHER exit?

And let's not forget the free driving lessons provided by other electronic signs....
"Check blind spot before changing lanes"
"Don't follow too closely"
"Wear your seatbelt"

Or my favorite:

"Test"

I might cut the local Highway department some slack, except these signs have been in place for almost a decade. By now they should have figured out how to use them effectively.

Perhaps the intern who posts the messages was out sick.

Or perhaps they should get their money back.