Monday, June 18, 2007

What Signs Say and What They Mean.

Have you ever met someone who's obsessed with opportunities? You know, people whose "radar" is always on the lookout for how things might be improved? Those obsessed with the questions "What if?, "Why not?", "Why are things the way they are?". It's really a constant state of wonder.

I am one of those people.

Whenever I see a sign, I ponder the reason for the sign's existence rather than what the sign says. I have no idea why. My brain just works that way.

One of my favorites is posted in the Pro Shop of a local Golf club. It reads:

"No Rainchecks if you tee off in the rain".

One can only imagine the customer conversation that caused the sign to be posted in the first place. Does this happen so frequently that it requires a sign? Couldn't the starter have mentioned to the golfer that it looks like rain - and explain the raincheck policy before they even walked out to the first tee?

How about displaying local dopplar radar in the Pro Shop, so when the weather is threatening, customers can make an informed decision?

Why not suggest the group have some coffee or a muffin in the lounge until the clouds parted? Even if the rain continued, at least you'd have sold them breakfast!

Those are the kinds of questions that trigger in my mind when I see signage like that.

For someone who operates in the Recreation and Hospitality industry, they're coming up short on the hospitality part. And there are plenty of other golf club choices choices available.

The sign might as well say: "No Idiots Allowed".

And that says as much about the course operator as it does about their customers.

To people like me, there's a big difference between what signs say and what they mean.