Monday, October 1, 2007

The Irrelevant Giant

As reported at CIO.com today, Microsoft announced that it will be putting it's office applications suite on the web.

They are late to the party AGAIN.

It's an obvious attempt to head off Google's entry of sharable web based word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software (which I happen to be using at the moment).

It's hard to tell from my perspective whether Microsoft actually wanted to enter this space or whether they felt they HAD to.

My gut tells me that they've been "playing defense" for some time now.

I'm certain that all the geek pundits will begin blogging about Msoft's imminent/eventual demise.

I don't think Microsoft is in danger of imminent demise. I think they're in danger of becoming irrelevant.

And that's far worse.