Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Expectations

Setting an expectation is a double edged sword.

On Saturday morning, if the paper isn't delivered, it can ruin the start of your day. We like predictible. Same is good.

A visit to your favorite restaurant, when the chef has an "off night" can wreck your evening.

Recently Seth Godin celebrated his 3000th blog post, IN A ROW. Daily, for almost a decade, he's been sharing his thoughts each morning.

For anyone, this is a Herculean feat.

Delivering fresh throughts on a daily basis, without missing a day is unheard of.

This morning, when I logged on and checked my RSS Feed reader, there was nothing from Seth.

He didn't meet my expectations. I was disappointed.

Now Seth didn't promise me that he would post every day. He never committed to posting before 7 am. In fact he made no representations whatsoever. But based upon his record of daily insightful posts, he set an expectation.

Or rather I "assumed" an expectation.

Today's post may arrive in my RSS Reader as I'm writing this, but it's already too late. I'm already feeling a little let down.

That's the trouble with fans. We're fanatical.