Friday, May 11, 2007

"Reply to All" Electroshock

At our house we have many different email addresses. One is designated for our "Home" correspondence - generally from friends, relatives and the occasional spammer. Recently we've been receiving a huge number of emails we care nothing about.

E-mail has been around for some time now, depending upon your rate of adoption, perhaps as long as 20 years.

And yet people still abuse the "Reply to All" feature of Email.

A neighbor invited about 50 friends to a restaurant this evening. It was a casual invite - come if you can. And yet a huge number of people felt that they had to let EVERYBODY know the status of their attendance. Like everyone cared.

I think these are the same people who, when at work, feel it necessary to tell the world about everything they do, using CC address line as a "CYA button".

Don't get me wrong. I like these neighbors. It's just not important to me whether I know in advance whether they attend this particular event.

So I'm going to petition Microsoft to either delete the "Reply to All" feature or to add a feature which can be turned on by anyone receiving a "Reply to All" Email - one which would send an electroshock to the sender the next time they use it.

If you must tell me you're planning on coming to the restaurant, I want a unique, personal message from you - otherwise I'll see you there.