Friday, February 27, 2009

The Death of Facebook

I'm starting to see signs that Facebook is not long for this world.

My suspicions began the day my wife signed up for an account. It wasn't long before she had friended many of our kids friends. And then neighborhood parents began to join. The 40+ crowd had come late to the Facebook party but they're planning to stay.

Now neighbors poke each other, write on friends' walls, upload photos. The competitive ones treat it like a popularity contest and race to friend the most people.

What was once the domain of the teenagers and the twenty something crowd is quickly being seeded with "old fogeys". And so it's my prediction that Facebook will eventually die off - or at least fundamentally change. Like a hip new nightclub whose patrons change allegiances to the newest club in town, the younger Facebook users will seek a new spot to hang out, leaving Facebook to us.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to tweet.