Friday, February 13, 2009

Would You Take this Survey?

This morning I received the following McKinsey email.

Dear McKinsey on Strategy subscriber:

Please help us in our continuous efforts to make the McKinsey Quarterly a publication that meets your expectation by taking a few minutes to complete a brief survey about the articles in the McKinsey on Strategy Newsletter that you recently received.

To have your views included, please complete the survey by Tuesday, February 17th.

Note that you need not complete the survey in one sitting as long as you finish it by Tuesday February 17th. You can stop at any time and close the window. Click on the link in this email to return later and complete the survey.

To thank you for participating.................


Now, I enjoy the articles. McKinsey have a lot of very smart people working for them. But if you're trying to intice me to complete a survey, one of the things you should NOT do, is to assure me that I don't have to complete it "in one sitting".

I may be willing to give you five minutes of my time, but unless I'm on the payroll, it is not likely I'll be giving you more than that.

Take note the next time your company sends out a survey.