Friday, March 20, 2009

Think About Corporate Newsletters This Way

One of my favorite newsletters is McKinsey. Loads of great information. McKinsey offers free information to subscribers as well as a premium information to its members. For about $150 per year, I can become a premium member.

To those of us who haven't become premium members yet, McKinsey offers tantalizing articles to induce us to make the leap. They deliver relevant, compelling headlines with a teaser opening paragraph or two, as incentive to make the transition to membership. (I'm almost there.)

It got me thinking.

What if Marketing departments created Corporate Newsletters, that they actually had to sell? How would the content be changed? How might the headlines be written? How would they create more value for the customer?

Instead of an "I'm glad we published another one on time", perhaps we'd change our focus to "we got another 50 subscribers!"

After all, isn't that what we're shooting for?